Blog Formerly Known as:

BLOG FORMERLY KNOWN AS: I HAD A MIND ONCE

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Crying at The Croods and other Strange Phenomena

So, chemo. Yep, I started. Had my first treatment on March 21st, exactly 13 days ago (but who's counting). If I recall correctly, I was surprisingly calm on that sunny Thursday morning. At least I thought I was...First we met with my oncologist who went over the treatment protocol and the side effects of the drugs and then it was time to begin. 
I was assigned my recliner, which was right across from a bathroom (very convenient as it turned out the fluids they give you make you "gotta go gotta go right now!") and settled in with my  iPhone filled with music and healing meditations and my books, as I was planning to get a lot of reading done during my 3 1/2 hours or so at the hospital. 
A sweet and apparently well-protected nurse (think full smock and rubber gloves) came over with my bags of drugs, three in total, each of which would get administered one at a time. 
 I can do this. I thought. No problem.
She hooked the first bag up and sat down with some papers.
"I'm just going to go over each of the drugs you're going to get today and the potential side effects," she said as the first drug and its potential side effects began entering body.
I listened for a bit and then suddenly felt hot. And dizzy. "I think I'm having a heat flash or something," I said. 
She calmly called for another nurse, and two appeared. The three of them stood around me , watching me with concern. "How do you feel ?" one of them asked.
"A little hot," I said.
"Turn the meds off," she said to the sweet, side-effects-sharing nurse.
 They stood around me for a while, watching me like a hot, helpless specimen under a microscope and occasionally making a joke or glancing at each other.
"How are you feeling now?" The lead nurse asked.
"Better," I said. "At least I'm not hot any more."
She walked over and looked at how much of the medicine had left the bag and entered my body.  Apparently it was minimal.
"I think maybe you're just feeling a little anxious," she said. "Why don't we give you some Ativan."
Gee? You think? Of course I was feeling anxious. I was having my first chemo AND they were sharing the side effects with me as the drugs were entering my bloodstream. 
"Maybe we can also talk about side effects another time?" I suggested. "My doctor already went over them with me anyway."
They agreed. They gave me the Ativan, which combined with the Benadryl basically put me to sleep. So much for the reading. But I learned a good lesson that day. During chemo, Ativan is King.

The AfterEffects
It's said that you can often predict when you are going to feel bad after chemo, and just as predicted, I started to feel crappy two days later. Not only did I feel tired and perhaps a little nauseous from my chemo, but I got my #$%!**# period (damn you mother nature). And a headache that has lasted me until today...good lord. 13 days, a migraine, off and on, the type of headache where you just want to detach your head and leave it on the dresser for the day.

I talked to my oncologist yesterday and she thinks I might be having a steroid withdrawal headache ( did I mention they give you steroid pills on the morning of chemo?). She says some people are very sensitive to steroids, even a small amount, and need to be weaned off. So now I'm popping a low dose of steroid pills and weaning myself off of them to see if my headache goes away. My friend/husband's cousin who is a breast cancer survivor put it this way: Welcome to the Chemo game. I guess the rules in this game are pretty crazy - trying to connect exactly what is causing what can get confusing and so I'm now changing my profile pic to this (I know, a lot less inspiring than the Buddha but more true to how I'm feeling right now):

As for other side effects so far:
  • minimal nausea (I've only taken one pill for nausea, which is pretty damn good). I will say that the feeling is very close to that which I felt in first trimester pregnancy with E. Feeling a little queasy? Eat some carbs or chocolate ice cream. All better. I don't think we have to worry about Amy losing too much weight on her chemo regimen.
  • Bad taste in mouth and oversalivating (lovely, yes?). Also had this during pregnancy so there you go.
  • A strange mark on my abdomen, slightly itchy, diamond shaped, as though I was kidnapped by aliens and branded.
  • A tiny bit of neuropathy, in which my hands get red and itchy. I thought it was dry skin at first but now realize it's not and can stop slathering myself in Lubriderm.


Short and Sassy!
And really, that's all that's worthy of mention. So far. But what about my HAIR you ask? The doctor predicted it would fall out around day ten. But I still have it. And it's short. I cut it short in preparation and to make the transition less potentially traumatic (not to mention if all my hair came out I probably wouldn't be able to find my children. Have you seen how thick my hair is??). And I also went to pick out a wig. Say what you will about wigs; some people love 'em. Some hate them. I don't know where I stand, really. But I feel like a need to have one just case. Not sure how my bald self is gonna feel.
 AHHHHHHH! It's Hideous!
I took one picture of myself trying on a blonde wig at the wig store. I only tried it on because I liked the style; not the color. It's simply awful, but I'll share as it will probably make you feel better about yourself.




And, finally, let me address my emotional well being. I'm thinking it might be a bit dicey at the moment. It must be, because I cried during the movie The Croods last Friday. If you haven't seen it or heard of it, here's a brief description:

This prehistoric comedy adventure follows the world's first family as they embark on the journey of a lifetime when the cave that has always shielded them from danger is destroyed. Traveling across a spectacular landscape, the family discovers an incredible new world filled with fantastic creatures -- and their outlook is changed forever.

Crying at a kids movie is OK if it's something like Bambi or Toy Story 3 (if you're a parent and you didn't cry at the end of that movie there is something seriously wrong with  you emotionally. Just sayin'....)
But really..The Croods??  I totally didn't see it coming. We got to the movie late (anyone who knows me knows this never happens) and I had to squeeze into the last two seats in the second last row of the balcony. J sat on my lap and E sat to my right. I could barely even see over J's head and was having a hard time following what was going on so it's not like I felt emotionally invested or anything. But we came to
a scene where the dim-witted father has to toss every member of his family across a great and stormy divide (I think they were jumping to the sun or something- as they were always looking for the "light" all the time and trying to stop hiding in caves) and that's when the waterworks started. 
Was anyone else in the entire theater crying? I wondered. Or was there just something seriously wrong with me? Were my defenses down to due to chemo? Was it my hormones? I casually wiped my eyes with my sleeve. I told my husband that evening about my crying over dinner and he laughed at me. Well, we laughed together.

But then, the next day, I was reading Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart and I had an epiphany. Take a look at these excerpts from her chapter called "It's Never too Late":
"It struck me that if all of this is really a dream (life), I might as well spend it trying to look at what scares me instead of running away."
AND
"Sometimes it seems we have a preference for darkness or speed. We can protest and complain and hold a grudge for a thousand years. But in the midst of bitterness and resentment, we have a glimpse of maitri. We hear a child crying or smell that someone is baking bread. We feel the coolness of the air or see the first crocus of spring. Despite ourselves, we are drawn out by the beauty in our own backyards."

So you see what I'm getting at? The seemingly benign Croods is actually a movie with a powerful Buddhist message. Get out of your caves everyone! Run toward the light! Enjoy your life while you can!

What do you think?

It's either that or I'm becoming emotionally unglued.


4 comments:

  1. As I said before Amy, you are an amazing writer! Thanks for sharing this. I think the blonde wig was kinda fun actually. Blonde is where its at...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping for the big hair, big curly hair wig with some rockin' shoulder pads. Cryin' at the Croods will be the next rock band name to make it big --- those mega-metaphors darkness/light/shadows in the caves always make me cry -- just wait until there's a car ad not full of funky fun-lovin' hamsters but cavemen philosophers asking "what is beauty? Really?" and I'll be bawling my eyes out longing for a lost conversation.

    I'm bringing a cement Buddha over when I deliver food who will guard your steps for the duration -- he's covered in happy baby buddha -- like little tumors emerging from his smiling visage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the side effects are OK..I guess..I suppose...at least the nausea isn't so bad (?)
    I read and loved When Things Fall Apart in school. It was one of only two assigned books I actually read cover to cover in high school. Marvelous.

    And crying at The Croods?! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a headache for 13 days? And a migraine-level one at that? Good Lord, woman, that's enough to rattle even Job himself.  
     
    Why do all side-effects have to be bad? How did that become a thing? Where is the X-Men/mutant-esque increase in eyesight acuity or hearing? Or, better yet, the ability to bend the minds of others to your will? What exactly is the pharmaceutical industry doing with all of their free time?

    I'm sorry to hear about the incident with the smock and rubber-glove outfitted nurse. That didn't sound too pleasant. Not that it's all that surprising, of course. Those two fashion accessories, when combined, are always a bad sign. For instance, Richard Nixon wore a heavy smock and rubber gloves during his first presidential run (as a noted germaphobe, meet and greets with the general population were very stressful for him), and he was creamed by Kennedy.

    Most progressive hospitals now use mascot costumes. Bad news is still bad news, but there's something about hearing it coming out of the mesh-covered mouth hole of an oversized panda head that takes a bit of the edge off of it.

    P.S. There's no shame in crying at a kid's movie. If there was, I would have a large, red C stitched into all of my clothes.

    I actually once made the mistake of watching Toy Story 3 and Finding Neverland on an overseas flight. And while no one in space can hear you scream, I can attest that everyone in coach at 40,000 feet can hear you blubber.

    ReplyDelete